Friday 1 March 2013

A Confession

This story is based on a true story of a Singapore guy.
This is a confession letter written by Mr.H


It is 5 years to the day I lost him, yet his memory is still etched as deeply and fresh in my mind. There are times I let my guard down when I see something funny, sad or simply memorable and I turn to share it with him, only to remember again that he’s not there. We met when we were in camp. I had one of those schoolboy crushes the moment I laid eyes on him. He was the duty officer of the day and I was a platoon sergeant from another company. I concocted a lame excuse to drop by the Ops Room to find out his name, D. Through some illegal means I obtained his number and for a couple of days I deliberated calling him, keying it into my phone before chickening out and hitting cancel.


I went out for drinks at Tantric that weekend with a close friend to dish and ask for advice, when who should walk in but my crush himself! He glanced over, gave me one of those cheeky knowing grins and walked away. I spent the night longing to talk to him and secretly hating every cute slut who hit on him. We met the following week at the camp canteen. He ordered his food and walked over with an air like we knew each other for years, sat down and said “I was waiting for you to come and talk to me that night. Shy ah?” I wanted to smack him so badly for his cocky arrogance and yet, it was SO appealing. I mumbled some reply and pretty soon we were hitting it off. Before it was time to go, he casually reached out for my phone and started keying in his number only to find out that I already had it. Oh the embarrassment…

I won’t go into the clichés of describing our relationship. When you are in love, the world disappears and everything feels magical to you. Being an officer who had his own bunk, I often snuck out of mine when my mates were asleep to look for him. Our book outs were spent in each other’s company and when I brought him home to meet my family, my mother doted on him like another son. But he always kept a part to himself and it wasn’t long before I figured it out; he wasn’t out to his family, particularly his mother who was a “church elder”. Coming from an accepting family myself, I didn’t want to push him on this issue. We chose to ignore it and lived happily in our own world.

Then he had a serious accident. His getting a bike license was something I never agreed with but his elder brother rode one and it was something he had his heart placed on since young. I only found out when his friend from his company (who knew we were dating) called me. I made up a bullshit excuse to get a nights off pass and rushed down to the hospital. His parents were already there and they thought I was a camp representative, an assumption I did not bother to correct. I nearly cried on the spot seeing him lying there injured, his arm and leg in a cast and bruises all over. He was still under the effects of the sedative when he came to and saw me, smiled and said “I’m sorry baby I promise to be more careful next time. I was so scared I would never see you again.” I looked up to see his parents’ shock. I told him to rest up, bade a hasty farewell and left.

He called me the next day from the hospital, saying that he could be discharged soon. I applied for off again and when I reached; no one else was there. I asked if he had called his parents and he shrugged. I knew what that shrug meant; “I don’t want to talk about it.” He held my hand tightly during the taxi ride to his place and when we reached, I felt his body tense. His parents had the locks changed. I stood there hapless and not knowing what to say as he argued over the phone with his dad. It was clear what was happening; they did not accept him coming out and unless he promised to never see me again, change and go for church counseling, they did not want him back in the house. It was the first time I had ever seen him cry and it broke my heart. He was shouting “I am still your son, which is more important to you??”. He was so frustrated at not getting through to his parents that he finally hurled his phone out into the air, over the parapet.

I brought him home to my place and whispered hurriedly what had happened to my mom. Since I had to be back in camp while he was on a month’s MC, she took charge of his recuperation without hesitation. His brother dropped off some clothes for him with a menacing warning, “You better tell my brother to stop being a gay or else he can change the address on his IC to ‘this place’.” I had never met such homophobic hostility before and I kept the words of his brother from him. He recovered but his demeanour changed. Having to readjust to a life in a new home, no matter how welcoming, affected him greatly. He hardly laughed and would some dark mood swings. I held him on many nights as he cried over his family’s rejection. He bought his mother a gift for her birthday, hoping she would forgive and accept him but she said that unless he changed and prayed for forgiveness, she only had one son. His father rejected his calls and his brother told him he was ashamed of having a “chao ah qua” for a brother.

Then he went missing one Saturday. He got to book out earlier than I did and we would always meet up at my place; that day I reached home with lunch for the both of us only to find that he wasn’t there. I waited all day and night. My texts went unanswered and his phone was switched off. I went to bed with a sense of dread. His camp-mate, the same friend who knew about us, woke me up with a string of frantic missed calls. His family had called the camp to report that something bad, real bad had happened to him. I rushed down to his place and my worst fears realized when I saw the wake in the void deck. I didn’t want to go in and face the truth. He had left me, left all of us for good. His parents refused to allow me entry to bid him farewell but his brother relented when they were not around. It was all so surreal seeing him lay there in the coffin. I kept hoping that it was a bad joke.

Afterwards, his brother told me that every Saturday morning D would come round to the house, pleading with their parents to let him in and forgive him. I did not know this and I cried that he had kept this from me. His brother was beginning to change his mind and accept his baby brother, even tried talking to his parents to let D move back in. That Saturday morning, following yet another futile begging session, he climbed onto the parapet in front of their flat and jumped 12 stories. My life has this huge void now. They say that time heals all wounds but the pain is still as fresh as it was yesterday. D, I graduated as I promised you I would and I recently started working. This should be a time of promise and possibilities but all I can think of is the memories we will never get to make together.

I wish you had spoken to me more or at least let me book out with you all those Saturdays. You promised that we would see the world together and someday we would have our own place. I am so sorry that you left this world thinking that your parents no longer loved you. I wish I had worked harder to make up for that, that my love was enough to make you forget them. I can never replace you and wherever you are now, I hope you will wait for me. Till we meet again.

Love,
H

No comments:

Post a Comment